Mildewed walls with different sorts of mold

Mold is a fungus, and it can grow on anything. When mold grows indoors, it usually appears on porous materials that have been wet with excess humidity or water damage. One of the most common places to find mold in your home is under the kitchen sink – where cleaners are stored. However, many people do not realize how dangerous mold exposure can be, especially for those with allergies or compromised immune systems. With this in mind, this blog post will explore the top five ways how mold damage affects your health.

1. Allergic Reactions

Mold spores are everywhere, and they can easily be inhaled or ingested. Exposure to even a few spores can lead to an allergic reaction in healthy individuals. Allergic reactions to mold include sneezing, itchy eyes, coughing, scratchy throat, wheezing, and difficulty breathing. With that being said, those who have compromised immune systems are at a higher risk of developing mold allergies.

2. Respiratory Problems

Mold spores are very small, so they easily enter your lungs when you breathe them in or swallow them after they’ve contaminated food or water. Once they are in the body, they can start growing, which causes respiratory problems. These problems most frequently include a chronic cough with phlegm or wheezing.

3. Skin Irritation

Once the spores enter your body, they can cause skin irritation as well. Itching and redness are common reactions to mold spores. Skin that becomes irritated easily may be more likely to develop a rash or become infected if it becomes broken or raw due to scratching. Those with allergies or compromised immune systems should take extra care not to come into contact with mold, as it can cause rash or infection that is very difficult to treat. Or else, if mold forms on your home kindly contact a mold removal company.

4. Infections

When the skin becomes irritated and breaks open, it creates an opportunity for infections. If your immune system is not strong enough to fight off a simple scratch, you are at risk of developing a systemic fungal infection from touching or ingesting mold spores. People with compromised immune systems are most at risk of a fungal infection, but a healthy individual can also develop a serious fungal or yeast infection from mold exposure.

5. Chronic Sinus Problems

Mold damage can cause chronic sinus problems when they are inhaled. A stuffy nose, headache, and thick nasal discharge may persist for months or even years after the original exposure to mold spores. This chronic condition is known as allergic fungal sinusitis (AFS), and it occurs in 7 out of 100 people as a chronic condition, according to the US National Library of Medicine.


If you notice mold in your home or business, it is important to have the problem corrected as soon as possible. Mold is dangerous, especially for those with allergies or compromised immune systems. If you notice signs of mold exposure anywhere in your home, contact Clean Air Xperts, a professional, primarily a mold removal company to have it treated immediately!

Contact Us