Molds spores are usually very tiny particles that float on air, and they can enter your house through an opened window, vent, or doorway. When they fall on a damp, warm surface, they grow rapidly. A leaky roof, damp wood, and condensation from cooking and showering are some of the most common causes of mold growth in a house. Inhaling mold spores in large quantities can cause adverse health effects. But, you can minimize the effects if you seek the right mold treatment approach. Discover more about mold exposure below.
Types of Harmful Molds
Molds can either be allergenic, pathogenic, or toxigenic. The allergenic molds trigger allergic reactions. When Toxigenic molds enter your body, they release mycotoxins that cause severe health issues. On the other hand, pathogenic molds cause infection in people with compromised immunity. They include:
• Alternaria: You can find these molds under the leaky sink, on rotten wood, and on bird nests.
• Aspergillus: They grow on building materials, food, dust, soil, and plant matter.
• Penicillium: Penicillium grows on damp surfaces and decaying organic matter.
• Cladosporium: This mold type grows on fabrics, plants, and wooden surfaces.
Health Effects of Molds
Molds produce irritants, so touching them or inhaling the spores can cause allergic symptoms like:
• Red eyes
• Skin rash
Exposure to molds also triggers asthmatic attacks in people with asthma. As molds grow, more spore fragments and organic compounds get into the indoor air, increasing particulate matter volume. These contaminants may cause breathing problems.
Breathing in aspergillus spores causes aspergillosis. Certain pulmonary conditions cause cavities formation in the lungs. If such a person breathes in aspergillus spores, they accumulate in the cavity, causing aspergilloma. The condition starts with a mild cough but worsens with time. This infection can spread to the brain, kidneys, and heart when left untreated, resulting in invasive aspergillosis. Aspergillosis causes chest pains, skin lesions, fever, and headaches.
Aspergillus may also invade your nose, causing a stuffy nose and headaches. Prolonged exposure to molds may also cause:
• Poor mental health
• Memory loss
• Chronic rhinosinusitis
• Hypersensitivity pneumonitis
• Constant Fatigue
The Right Mold Removal Approach
Although you can kill molds using a bleach mold cleaner, the most effective strategy is hiring a professional. Mold treatment requires skills, proper tools, and experience. Clean Air Xperts technicians use HEPA air scrubbers, vacuums, and dehumidifiers for proper mold remediation. Since molds are health hazards, cleaning requires proper gear like gloves, high filtration face masks, and respirators.
If you deal with the molds yourself, there is a higher risk of spreading the spores, which causes problem reoccurrence. Although molds appear on your house surfaces, they result from a larger underlying problem. A professional will clear off the molds effectively and address the root problem. They may recommend fixing water leaks, installing exhaust fans in your kitchen or bathroom, or installing a dehumidifier to control moisture and prevent mold growth.
Common signs of mold growth include damp smell, warped walls, tarnished tiles, stains on upholstery, and persistent cough. If you notice any of these signs, call a reputable mold removal company in Boynton Beach, FL, immediately before the problem escalates into more significant issues.